Refuse and Recycling

Emily Frontera

Public Works Coordinator

Troy Department of Public Works

4693 Rochester Road Troy, MI 48085

Public Works: 248.524.3392

Water Division/Billing: 248.524.3370

Refuse & Recycling: 248.524.3399

Subscribe to Refuse & Recycling Notifications and Updates


Notifications and Updates

Mixed Recycling

Holiday Collection Schedule 

Memorial Day, Monday May 29th - Collections delayed one day all week.

Yard Waste Collection resumes the week of April 3rd.  Place yard waste in 35-gallon regulation size container with City of Troy yard waste sticker (available at all City Buildings) or 30-gallon brown paper bags designated for yard waste. Small branches 2 inches in diameter should measure less than 3ft in length and bundled & tied with heavy twine. Limit 5 bundles per week.

NEW: Household Hazardous Waste Disposal - No Appointments Necessary - Proper Proof of  Residency required.

NEW: Electronics Recycling - No Appointments Necessary


Refuse and Recycling

The Refuse and Recycling Division provides refuse collection by a private contractor, Tringali Sanitation, once per week servicing over 30,000 single-family homes, condominiums, mobile homes, duplexes, and small commercial businesses. Refuse from 3,284 apartments is also collected on a weekly basis.

City of Troy provides curbside recycling services to about 28,000 households. Troy residents recycled over 4,100 tons of materials including newspapers, glass, plastic, and metals.

Yard waste cannot be mixed with trash and will not be collected as trash. Per MIDEQ mandate - yard waste cannot be sent to the landfills.

For ways you can use your lawn clipping to benefit your landscape, see SOCRRA Healthy Lawn & Garden Education Program.

Prescription Pill Disposal

Citizens can bring unwanted prescription drugs to the Troy Police Department lobby located at 500 W Big Beaver between the hours of 7 am - 10 pm Monday through Friday and 8 am - 4 pm on Saturday for disposal. (No medical offices or commercial disposal allowed for Operation Medicine Cabinet).  Only dry pills will be accepted, no liquids,sharps or packaging material.

Special Note:

City Ordinance Acrobat Document - Get Adobe Acrobat Reader states that trash containers cannot exceed a 35-gallon capacity and cannot weigh over 60 lbs when full. Because of the health and safety issues associated with repeatedly picking up oversized trash containers, the City of Troy's contractor does not empty these containers. If you own a trashcan over the 35-gallon limit, you have several options. The first is to wheel your container to the curb, remove the bags, and set the bags by the curb for pick-up. The second is to purchase a new container that does not exceed the 35-gallon limit. The third option is to purchase a 90-gallon polycart from our waste hauler, Tringali Sanitation. This 90-gallon cart is hydraulically lifted and emptied into the truck. It does not have to be lifted by the workers. If you are interested in one or more 90-gallon carts, please contact Tringali Sanitation at 248.585.9120.



  • All regulations and restrictions apply.
  • Approved disposal material must be placed in plastic bags securely tied. No loose materials should be placed in dumpsters.
Back to Top 


  • Sturdy, tied plastic bags or any durable metal or similarly constructed container designed for the storage of garbage may be used. Containers must have lids and handles.
  • Waste receptacles may not exceed 35-gallon capacity or less than 10-gallon capacity.
  • Non-conforming containers such as pails, cardboard boxes, metal drums, bushel baskets, etc. will be considered rubbish and MAY BE disposed of along with their contents.
  • The combined weight of container and contents may not exceed 60 pounds.
  • No single piece of refuse (except for items approved under "Large Household Item Pickup") may weigh more than 60 pounds or exceed 3 feet in length or 3 feet in girth.
  • You may use a 90-gallon Polycart (because it can be machine lifted by the trucks). It is a wheeled, large capacity refuse container with an attached lid. They are available for purchase for $87.20 from Tringali Sanitation (or $97.50 delivered). Call 248.585.9120 between 9 am and 5 pm for information.
Back to Top 


  • Yard Waste in plastic bags
  • Branches over 2 inches in diameter and over 3 feet in length
  • Concrete
  • Debris originating from building, demolishing, altering or repairing of structures, including, but not limited to, shingles, siding, paneling, plasterboard, ceiling tile, fencing, railroad ties, wooden decks, scrap lumber, garage doors, furnaces and boilers, oil tanks and drums
  • Dirt & Sand
  • Hazardous chemicals
  • Hot ashes
  • Large motor vehicle parts & car batteries
  • Liquid of any kind
  • Masonry
  • Motor vehicle batteries or tires
  • Paint cans (unless empty with lids removed or contents air-hardened or mixed with kitty litter or sand)
  • Shrubs
  • Sod
  • Stone
  • Tree stumps
  • Wood, including but not limited to, tree stumps, branches, shrubs, over 2 inches in diameter and 3 feet in length

Pickup service for the above items (excluding hazardous chemicals) is available through the contractor upon request on a fee basis. Call 248.585.9120 for details.

Back to Top 


Two pieces of furniture or household appliances will be picked up each week if placed at the curb. Excessive amounts due to moving, flooding or fire will be on a special call-in basis and a charge will be made for this service.

The following items require special handling:

  • Carpeting must be folded or rolled and tied (or duct taped), not to exceed 3 feet in width and 60 pounds in weight.
  • Refrigerators and freezers -- must have the doors removed.

If items cannot be put in the regular collection truck, the contractor will pick them up within 48 hours (two working days). Any items weighing in excess of 250 pounds will not be collected.

Back to Top

Special Household Waste

Oil paints, garden chemicals, automotive products, oils, household cleaners, solvents, insulin syringes, and other hazardous materials can be taken to SOCRRA, located at 995 Coolidge, no appointment needed. Visit for additional information regarding Special Household Waste disposal.

Back to Top 


Latex Paint (NOT oil paint), can be dried and placed in your regular trash for disposal. Follow these simple steps - 1) Dry the latex paint in a well ventilated area, away from children and pets; 2) Add absorbent material such as kitty litter or sawdust to help absorb the moisture; 3) The dried paint can put placed at curb with your regular trash, lids removed. Remember - don't over-buy paint. If you ask the paint store, they can give a good estimate for how many gallons you need for an area. If you have extra paint - check with local theater groups, schools and churches - they may take it as a donation.

Back to Top 


  • Garbage must be thoroughly drained and wrapped, then placed inside a plastic bag. The refuse collector is not allowed to reach into any container to dislodge the contents.
  • Care should be taken when disposing of broken glass or other sharp objects, especially if plastic bags are used. Such items should be securely wrapped to prevent puncture of the bag and possible injury to the refuse collector.
Back to Top 


Curbside Collection of Soft Yard Waste

  • All soft yard waste should be placed in a 35-gal (or less), regulation-size container with a Yard Waste decal or 30-gal., brown paper bag designated for yard waste (find them at hardware stores, supermarkets, lawn care resources, etc.) Plastic bags are NEVER accepted.
  • Brush or branches less than 2 inches in diameter and less than 3 feet long are to be bundled, tied and weigh less than 40 pounds. Limit of 5 bundles per week at your curb. The bundles will be picked up as yard waste, not "trash", per State regulations.
  • Do not exceed 50 lbs per container.
  • Curbside collection of compost runs for 35 weeks (first week of April to the first week of December).
  • Residents are encouraged to leave grass clippings on their lawns or compost in their backyards.
  • Backyard composting must follow City Ordinance requirementsAcrobat Document - Get Adobe Acrobat Reader.
  • Yard Waste may be taken to SOCRRA Troy Transfer Station from the middle of December to April 1 at no cost

Recycling bins can be purchased from the City Treasurer's Office in City Hall for $10

Recycling Items Collected Curbside

  • Paper items cannot be loose in the recycling bin and should be bundled and tied and/or placed in paper bags. Paperback Books/Newspapers/Junkmail & more! It's okay to mix the different types of paper together in your recycling bin. Just place all paper inside of brown paper grocery bags which are also recyclable. Recyclable papers are Office paper (any color, staples OK), Junk Mail (window envelopes - OK), Construction paper (crayon marks - OK), Manila folders, Loose-leaf paper, Computer paper, Carbonless forms. Magazines & catalogs. Telephone books, Newspapers and any inserts, Paperback books, Shredded paper (place in tied, clear plastic bags)
  • Paperboard (i.e. cereal, laundry soap boxes, ice cream containers, milk and juice boxes) - fold inside a brown paper grocery bag or largest cereal box
  • Corrugated cardboard, paperboard, boxboard - cut into bundled no larger than 2'x2'x1' and tie securely. Discard packing material, badly stained items. Remove all food, cellophane and liners.
  • Household batteries - store in a clear plastic bag. (No automotive batteries - they may be dropped off at SOCRRA drop off center, 995 Coolidge Road; Mon-Sat, 8am-6pm

Recycling plastic, glass and metal containers

  • Plastic containers/jugs/bottles - any # plastic can now be recycled; clean and remove caps/lids
  • Empty Metal paint and empty metal aerosol cans - leave lids off
  • Clear, Blue, Green & Brown Glass bottles/jars - rinse out & remove lids; (no ceramics, mirrors, coffee cups, plates or window glass)
  • Metal cans/metal lids/pie tins/small metal objects: clean, place loose metal lids inside metal cans and squeeze
  • These items can be placed loosely in the recycling bin.

    • The following items can be dropped off at the SOCRRA recycling center located at 995 Coolidge. No appointment is necessary.
    • Cups & takeout containers
    • Egg cartons
    • Rinsed meat trays
    • Food trays/lunch trays. Must be rinsed off ~ NO food remnants.
    • Molded packaging forms & shapes
    • No Styrofoam Peanuts
    • We Can Do More

      SOCRRA credits the City of Troy $30 per ton for all recycled items picked up at the curb. So instead of paying full disposal costs, our disposal bill is reduced. The City of Troy had over $122,000 deducted from our bill of $1 million to SOCRRA for 2007. Of this amount, over $99,000 was for all the types of paper accepted: newspapers, magazines, catalogs, junk mail, construction paper, envelopes, loose leaf paper, computer paper, office and school papers, etc.

    Recycling Update

    With the recent expansion of the curbside recycling program in Troy, we believe it is easier than ever to recycle. While we prefer you to recycle at your curb, if that is not possible there are 2 other recycling centers in Troy.

    TRINGALI Recycling Drop Off Center

    Will accept plastic jugs and bottles, newspapers, magazines, cardboard, small metal items.

    33373 Dequindre - Just north of 14 Mile Road, west side of streetMonday-Friday 7 am-5 pm248.585.9120

    SOCRRA Recycling Dropoff Center

    For Disposal of motor oil, please see locations listed belowAutomotive Authority Inc, 3872 Rochester Rd, 248.643.6363

    All curbside items PLUS plastic bags, auto and lead acid batteries, scrap metal, CDs, cassettes, VHS tapes, DVDs, and hardback books.By appointment: Household Hazardous Waste and Electronic Equipment, call 248.288.5153.

    995 Coolidge Highway between 14 & 15 Mile Roads (Across from Meijer)Monday-Friday 7 am-6 pm; Saturday 7 am-2 pm248.288.5153

    For the disposal of motor oil, please see locations listed below

    • Uncle Ed's, 2988 E. Big Beaver 248.528.3550 Free, will dump resident's container and return
    • Uncle Ed's, 3801 Rochester Rd. 248.689.9250 Free, will dump resident's container and return
    • O'Reilly's Auto Parts (formerly Murray's Discount Auto), 957 E. Auburn Road at John R, 248.853.7770, Free
    • Somerset Automotive Service, 1705 Blaney, 248.643.6363, Free
    • Gary Knurek/Goodyear (corner of Biltmore & Livernois), 1973 Livernois, 248.362.0350, Free

    For the recycling of Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (CFLs)

    Drop off free at Lowe's, drop box located near the entrance of the store. The centers also collect cell phones and plastic bags.

    • Drop off free at all Home Depot locations. A container should be near the service desk.
    Back to Top



    Regular Refuse Collection is scheduled Monday through Thursday, from 7 am until routes are completed. Refuse should be placed at the curb no sooner than 5pm on the preceding day. Containers should be removed as soon as possible, but no later than 24 hours after pickupSee Map to find your regular collection day of the week.

    Holiday Collection delays

    If a holiday occurs (Mon-Fri), collection for the remaining days of that week will be one day late. Holidays include:

    • New Year's Day (January 1st)
    • Memorial Day
    • Independence Day (July 4th)
    • Labor Day
    • Thanksgiving Day
    • Christmas Day (December 25th)

    Back to Top

Did You Know?

  • Routes begin at 7 am and run until finished. Routes may alternate, so always make sure your trash, yard waste and recycling is out by 7 am.